Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Butterflies!



This year in Makena's class her teacher (Mrs Lefler) did a really fun activity with the kids. She ordered caterpillars and the kids where able to watch them grow, turn into cocoons and hatch into butterflies. Makena had so much fun that she begged me to order some for us.




So we ordered them and was able to have a wonderful experience. My kids learned things like butterflies have tongues like straws that they stick out and suck the nectar out of flowers. When the butterflies leave their cocoons, they leave a red residue from their wings, and they got to hold the butterflies on their fingers.



So the kids would watch and wait for literally hours for the butterflies to hatch and of course without fail, we had to leave the house and the butterflies would hatch while we where gone. We were down to three crystallise left and I could tell they were going to hatch during the night, so I did what any crazy mom would do. I spent 20 minutes rigging the video camera so it could record the butterflies hatching. Once I got it all set up I realized the video tape was only an hour long so I woke up three different times to check on the butterflies and rewind the tape. Thankfully we caught on butterfly hatching on camera. My kids were thrilled and I thought I should take the rest of the day off because I had earned my "mom of the year" for the impressive video footage.


(This was high-tech video footage that had to be reset every hour)

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I love Jake's face in all his pictures. It looks like he is either in pain or really, really needs to go to the bathroom. My Tyler is the same way when a camera is in front of him.

Shannon and Andrew said...

You do get the award for Mom of the Year. Where did you buy those. I think my kids would love the experience.

Allison and Mason: said...

That made me laugh so hard hearing you trying to catch the hatchings on tape. I'm glad that you guys had such a fun time with them. I may have to borrow your video for this year! Also, I finally made the changes to my blog. Thank you for the website!

AnnaBanana said...

Paige got these for her birthday, I need to send in our order form for the eggs. It looks like it was lots of fun. I'll be calling you for any tips and tricks.