Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's great to be EIGHT!!

This year Makena wanted her birthday party to be at the Lion House. Most of her friends and cousins have already had parties there so she was so excited for it to be her turn. It was a really cute eight year old birthday and so easy. I would recommend it to anyone.




The girls had a great time listening to the tour of the house and I was impressed at how well they listened. They played fun pioneer games and stretched taffy. I actually got the recipe from the Lion House and tried it at home. Mine didn't turn out quite as good. I would recommend using white vanilla. Here is the recipe.
Lion House Taffy
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 Cups water
1 Cup white corn syrup
1 t salt
2 t glycerin (available of drugstores)
2 T butter
1 t vanilla
Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, salt and glycerin in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to 258 degrees. Remove form heat, add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts. Pour onto buttered cookie sheet to cool. Wash and dry hands. Take a small piece of taffy, stretch and fold repeatedly until taffy turns white. Makes enough for 10-14


Makena's birthday started out with her birthday breakfast. Her favorite breakfast item is fruit filled crepes. I think she likes them so much because she makes such a mess eating them.

Makena got to bring in her favorite treat to school(pink frosted cookies) and her class all sang happy birthday. After, Makena and I got to experience the joys of school lunch. Baked potatoes where being served that day which is one of Makena's favorite food. I guess it could of been worse--chicken friend steak or something. But really, what is chicken fried steak??

For Makena's family birthday party she chose to go up to the mountains and have hot dogs and marshmallows for dinner. We invited both sets of grandparents and headed up to American Fork Canyon. We went to our favorite picnic spot (swinging bridge). It was so much fun! We are so blessed to have both our parents around us. The kids love anything that has to do with their grandma's and grandpa's.

6 comments:

Allison and Mason: said...

Such a cute little girl. I remember having princess parties back in my day too - as I'm sure you did. I was sad I couldn't make her baptism. But it looks like she had a great birthday!

Janae said...

I love Lion House birthday parties. So fun!

Shannon and Andrew said...

I can't believe our little girls are turning eight this year. I remember when you first moved into the Highland ward. Our girls were just barely a year. I miss you guys. Happy birthday Makenna

The Fife's said...

Wow, you have an eight year old!! She is so cute. I remember when she was born and it doesn't seem that long ago.

MEGandJEFF said...

How fun :) I'm going to have to try that taffy...

Lisa Loeffler said...

Wow! Sounds like a very fun-filled birthday and I'm impressed that you made taffy! Atallia had a blast at her party. McKenna is so lucky to have such a great mom!